Sunday, December 23, 2018

UC San Diego Iceland Research!



Exciting news! I was selected to be a part of a sustainability trip to Iceland in August of 2019 through UC San Diego's Alternative Break Program. "Alternative Breaks" offers students the opportunity to study sustainability in various locations while simultaneously serving the communities there. While in Iceland, I will be working with UC San Diego and Holar University College professors to analyze the break down of organic matter. The purpose of collecting and analyzing decaying matter is to track the rate of climate change. I will also be participating in climate change and carbon neutrality education and outreach with the local communities there. I may even have the opportunity to be a co-author on a scientific paper the professor leading the trip is writing.

For now, I will be meeting with my team once a week for the next two quarters to educate myself on Icelandic culture and to begin fundraising for my participation in this program. While I am not sure how I will finance the trip yet, I will be using this blog for updates on the process (and for better explanations of the science I will be doing there!). I also plan on blogging our team's daily activities while I am in Iceland. Climate Change is something I'm really intrigued by, so I hope you find these posts interesting as well!

Ta ta for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment